We’ve all been to Farmer’s Markets, and they even have one on Saturday’s from 10am-1pm, but we’d like to highlight their evening/nighttime activity– Market SW (425 M St SW, 20024)
Market SW is a night arts market that runs from 4pm-10pm on alternate Fridays, beginning May 3rd and continuing every other Friday until October 18th, 2019.
The market features a diverse mix of art, crafts, handmade jewelry, accessories, bath/beauty, vintage and antique furniture, furnishings, as well as specialty food items other local products. On stage, local musicians will curate and present a mix of live music and special guest vinyl-spinning djs.
Additionally, a beer garden with a bar serving a variety of drinks, a cigar lounge, and select food trucks will be part of the programming mix.
My personal highlight was the empanadas from upcoming Olde Towne Gaithersburg restaurant, DMV Empanadas. Quite possibly the best empanada I have ever eaten. The mango con chile came in at a close second.
We made our way north of the county line when we stopped by the popular Urbana restaurant, Surf House Island Cantina.
The restaurant is described as being about “great friends and great food.” For just over three years, Surf House Island Cantina has brought the beach to Frederick County and uses locally sourced ingredients that come from the farm straight to your plate.
Pictured you’ll see:
• Tide Pool (Maryland crab, grilled shrimp, cocktail sauce, avocado, onion, cilantro and a crostini) ***My personal favorite ***
• Two very tasty seasonal cocktails
• Tsunami Nachos (roasted chicken or black bean chili topped with pico de gallo, crema fresca, and pickled jalapeños and guacamole)
• Fish Tacos (pan-seared mahi magi and salmon)
• Bacon mac n cheese (thickly cut house-cured bacon, elbow macaroni, Surf House cheddar cheese sauce,and crispy bread crumbs)
• Pokè Bowl (choice of premium ISLAND or MAINLAND protein, stir-fry vegetables, seaweed salad, jasmine rice)
• Grilled Wagyu Steak (8oz fillet from Snake River Farms with a citrusy butter-fried thyme & garlic sauce)
• Two delicious desserts
In addition to the items pictured, Surf House featured burgers, burritos, wings, calamari, oysters, and a lot more!